Opportunity for International Students
World Education Services-WES is planning a Living Experience Panel of international students at the National Metropolis Conference. The conference will be held in Ottawa March 15-18, 2023. To ensure the voice of those most impact by issues is heard, we are looking for your assistance in recruiting the international student panelists.
We are looking for three to five participants, who are currently international students, who could speak on the following topics:
- Recruitment practices: How they learned about study-abroad opportunities in Canada, why they chose the institution they did, and if it has so far met their expectations.
- Immigration status: Their status, if they intend to seek/have attained Permanent Residency, and their expectations and experiences with this.
- Support services: Their access to and experience with support services such as housing, mental health, and career counselling.
- Finances & work: How they are paying for their international student tuition and their experience with working in Canada.
- Their experiences in finding information on all of the above, and how it has shaped their decision making.
Interested students should be comfortable sharing their experiences on these topics in a public setting, as well as their recommendations for how any challenges they have faced may be improved for themselves and other international students in their position. The discussion will be moderated by an experienced facilitator and will be conducted in English.
Note: As we are only able to pay for local travel, we are narrowing our search to students in the Ottawa-Gatineau area. As we are seeking to bring a balance of perspectives to the discussion, we ask that interested students apply by answering ten questions that can be found below my email signature by Friday, January 20. Short screening interviews will be held in the first two weeks of February.
The five participants will receive:
- Access to the full conference; the registration will be paid for by WES and is a value of $395.
- An additional $100 honorarium for their speaking role.
- A preparatory session on public speaking if desired.
- One year of access to LinkedIn Learning, with a learning path customized for each individual supported by WES’ Learning and Development team.
- Professional reference from WES for their future job applications.
If you are interested and require any assistance with this information, please reach out to: