Canda Student Service Grant for Post-Secondary Students
Dear Community Members,
Today, the Canadian federal government launched the Canada Student Service Grant (CSSG) application and the ‘I Want To Help’ platform. This grant will provide a one-time payment ranging from $1000-$5000 to eligible post-secondary students and recent graduates who are volunteering this summer to serve in their communities’ COVID-19 response and are gaining valuable experience at the same time. The one-time grant payment is dependent on the number of volunteer hours gathered.
Individuals receiving or have previously received Canada Emergency Relief Benefit (CERB) at any point are not eligible to apply for this opportunity and receive this grant.
Students receiving or have previously received Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB) at any point are eligible to apply for this opportunity and receive this grant.
To be eligible to participate in a CSSG opportunity, a person must:
- be enrolled and attending a part-time or full-time post-secondary education during spring/summer 2020 and/or September 2020 at an accredited institution; or
- have graduated from post-secondary education no earlier than December 2019; and
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, registered Indian or have refugee status
To be eligible to receive the CSSG grant at the completion of the volunteer opportunity, a person must:
- be a post-secondary student or recent graduate, 30 years of age or younger by December 31st, 2020, who meets the eligibility criteria including the required number of volunteer service hours
- not be an international student or a person who has or is currently receiving the CERB ($2,000 monthly)
Eligible students can start looking for volunteer opportunities using the ‘I Want To Help’ platform, which showcases a directory of local volunteer opportunities throughout the nation. If someone is already volunteering at an organization, they can continue to volunteer there and use those volunteer hours to apply for CSSG. You can start to apply for the grant right now if you meet the eligibility criteria.
‘I Want To Help’ Platform for Volunteer Opportunities: https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/volunteer
Canada Student Service Grant Application: https://apply.iwanttohelp.org/?utm_source=canada.gc.ca&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=2020IWTH_Campaign
Full CSSG Eligibility and Grant Disbursement Information: https://a.storyblok.com/f/52095/x/503b515b22/cssg-student-volunteer-eligibility-4.pdf
If you require help with the application or have any questions please feel free to contact us at SAWRO.