Dear community members,
Today the Canadian federal government announced that the Canada Emergency Relief Benefits (CERB) will be extended for an additional 8 weeks. This extension will be added to the previous 16 weeks, allowing eligible people to claim up to a new total of 24 weeks of benefits (6 months).
The CERB is a taxable benefit of $2,000 over a four-week period for eligible workers who have stopped working or whose work hours have been reduced, due to COVID-19.
The CERB is available to workers who:
- live in Canada and are at least 15 years old
- have stopped working because of reasons related to COVID-19, or are eligible for EI regular or sickness benefits, or have exhausted their EI regular or fishing benefits between December 29, 2019 and October 3, 2020
- had employment and/or self-employment income of at least $5,000 in 2019, or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application
- have not earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income per benefit period while collecting the CERB
- have not quit their job voluntarily
Eligible workers can continue to reapply or apply for CERB through the Canda Revenue Agency’s MyCRA account or through Service Canada (EI CERB). You can also apply for CERB through a customer service representative by calling 1-833-966-2099.
Please see our previous post about more information on how to apply for CERB: https://dwjobnet.wordpress.com/2020/04/06/cerb-application-is-online/
Prime Minister’s announcement about CERB extension: https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2020/06/16/prime-minister-announces-extension-canada-emergency-response-benefit
If you require clarification and support, feel free to contact SAWRO.